Home Your Options Payments Court Dates Parking Tickets Contact Us
Your Options and Rights in Mayor's Court

Your Arraignment

The court date on your ticket, assigned by the officer, is your arraignment. The purpose of an arraignment is to answer to the charge(s) against you and have you enter a plea to that charge. This is not your trial. The officer who issued the citation will not be present at your arraignment

As a defendant, when you appear in Put-in-Bay Mayor’s Court, you should know your basic rights:

  • To know the nature of the charge(s) that has been filed against you.
  • To know the identity of the person making the charge against you.
  • To see and read the complaint filed against you.
  • To have legal counsel represent you.
  • To have one continuance to obtain counsel or for some other valid reason.
  • To have a Jury Trial or Court Trial in the Ottawa County Municipal Court.

Appeal after a Trial

You have a right to appeal the ruling of this Court. That appeal must be filed within 10 days of the trial as provided by Section 1905.23 Ohio Revised Code. Court personnel can assist you with this process.

Listed below you will find the Maximum Penalties for Misdemeanors.

Misdemeanor Classification Maximum Jail Term Maximum Fine
First degree  (M1) 6 months $1,000.00
Second degree  (M2) 90 days $750.00
Third degree  (M3)  60 days $500.00
Fourth degree  (M4) 30 days $250.00
Minor  (MM) No jail term $150.00

In the event that you are convicted of a Traffic Offense, a record of that conviction will be sent to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and will become a part of your driving record.

Plea Descriptions

In court, you will be required to enter one of the following pleas provided by the laws of the State of Ohio.

Not Guilty - The plea of Not Guilty indicates that you are contesting the facts as alleged in the complaint or ticket. If you plead Not Guilty on or before the court date assigned to you by the officer, your case will not be heard that day, but will be rescheduled for trial. The presiding magistrate hears all trials. Mayor’s courts cannot conduct jury trials. At your trial, the officer who issued the citation or complaint will be subpoenaed into court to testify. You may also bring witnesses to testify on your behalf.

Guilty - The plea of Guilty is a complete admission of guilt.

No Contest - The plea of No Contest is not an admission of guilt, but is an admission of the truth of the facts alleged in the complaint or ticket and such admission cannot be used against you in any subsequent civil or criminal proceedings.

Payable Violations Listing

The Mayor's Court also provides a Violation Bureau for the purpose of collecting payments for violations, which do not require a court appearance.
Most minor misdemeanor and fourth degree misdemeanor traffic charges have the option of paying a fine rather than appearing in court. Below is the fine schedule for some common payable violations. You may waive your right to appear in Court and plead guilty in advance by paying the predetermined amount. Payment of fines must be received on or before the assigned court date. If the offense with which you are charged is not listed below, call the Clerk of Court's office, phone (419) 285-2443, for more information. IF PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED PRIOR TO THE ASSIGNED COURT DATE YOUR APPEARANCE IS REQUIRED IN COURT.

MM Violation:  
Disorderly Conduct-Intoxication  $165.00
Disorderly Conduct-Fighting  $165.00
Open Container  $165.00
Drug Abuse  $235.00
Public Urination  $165.00
Seat Belt-Driver $115.00
Seat Belt-Passenger  $105.00


In the event that you are convicted of a traffic offense, a record of that conviction will be sent to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and will become part of your driving record.

Continuance Request

If you would to file a continuance request, please click here to download the Continuance Request Form. Complete form and fax to 419-285-2243. You must call the Clerk at 419-285-2443 to verify the acceptance of your continuance.



Please read before filing an expungement with the Village of Put-in-Bay
Offenses which cannot be expunged
Expungement Application